Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Time Has Come

I was thinking about what my next post series should be about (one of my friends suggested doing one on superhero movies, which, if I do, will come after seeing Watchmen), and I have decided to do one on 24. I find this particularly appropriate because in less than 2 days, Barack Obama will be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States, and this actually has two connections to 24. First, 24 was known in its early seasons for featuring a black president (Palmer For President!!), and second, the show was very much a product of the Bush administration. The show dealt with terrorism, torture, and shady politics.

I have not yet started watching the new season, so this series will be more about the rise and fall of the show (oh Season 6, how the mighty have fallen). I will examine how it started out as a novel way to tell a story, how it became a cultural phenomenon, and then, in the eyes of many, a cultural punchline.

Up next: The longest day of his life...

No comments: