Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Wizard of England

I don't know why I haven't gotten to this yet. I actually planned on doing a post series on this much earlier (I think I mentioned doing it way back when I was writing about His Dark Materials, and I'm sure I've mentioned it often). But today, I overheard a few of my classmates discussing this series (and dressing up as the characters... these are law students, remember). What am I talking about? Harry Potter.

This series may have started out as a children's series, but it became so much more. The underlying themes were very realistic and heavy parables for racism and hate, and this series tackled these themes better than some adult stories.

In this series, I want to examine the story, the themes, and the mythology of the Harry Potter series. I will also give a few opinions on what I think could have been done if author J.K. Rowling had not been trying to make an all-ages book (though a few of my ideas could have been incorporated into the books in the manner that they are in now), and I will also briefly look at the film series.

Up next: Magic words...

No comments: