Monday, March 2, 2009

Battlestar Galactica: The End Is Nigh

I must say that the opening paragraphs of the review for "Someone To Watch Over Me" from The Onion AV Club really rung true for me to a point. I am quite glad that Boxey didn't become an important character, but I tend to prefer that writers have a plan for series like this, especially when we were told for 3 years that the cylons had a plan! Is that plan still around? I guess so, because the final entry into the Battlestar Galactica canon (aside from Caprica) will be a TV movie called -wait for it!- The Plan. Granted, we probably never would have seen the amazing New Caprica occupation had they planned everything out, because that story was the impetus for creating the Final Five (we saw the cylons voting, and why wouldn't the five models we were unfamiliar with get a vote?).

Having said all that, holy crap that was great. I have no idea how this show will end in three (or four, since the last one is double length) episodes because it seems like there is still so much that has to happen. Watching Tyrol's heart get ripped out for the who-knows-how-manyth time was as painful as ever. And watching Boomer, the Sharon-8 that we once sympathized with, do something so despicable was incredible. Meanwhile, Athena, the Sharon-8 who was fully aware of what she was when she helped the cylons back in Season 1, only to be won over by love, had to watch Helo have sex with Boomer. Damn...

I won't lie and say that I have a few problems with the inconsistencies in the show's mythology, but this remains one of the best series on television. I will be very sad to see it go.

Up next: Magic mythology...

No comments: