Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Sampling of Mel Brooks

I wonder why I haven't even mentioned Mel Brooks yet in The Other Worlds. He has made some very iconic films that have influenced films to this very day (however, often with lackluster results). He parodied numerous different genres with spectacular results and proved time and again that he could make light of various cliches, foibles, and icons. He and his talented actors (he had a few people he worked with constantly, like Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Dom DeLuise, Harvey Korman, and Cloris Leachman) went where few filmmakers had gone before in order to get laughs, and they succeeded admirably.

I am going to focus on at least three of his movies, Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein (that is the order in which I saw them), and I may possibly go over History of the World, Part I, though I don't remember that one as well as I do the others. He has plenty of other movies, some of which are fantastic (High Anxiety), some of which aren't (Dracula: Dead and Loving It), but I selected the ones that mean the most to me.

Up next: The end for now...

No comments: