Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer's End

I've been back from Europe for about a week (and have been meaning to do posts on the new Mad Men and the original pilot of Dollhouse, but have been very busy) and I start classes again tomorrow. In that time, I've seen three movies, all of which I feel are worth discussing here. Sadly, unlike the other summer movies I talked about, I did not see these ones for free, but they were definitely worth seeing.

Up first is Funny People, Judd Apatow's latest film, which is about the life of comedians, both successful and blossoming. Next is District 9, a science fiction film that came out of nowhere and made huge waves. It is an analogue for apartheid, and tells a very interesting story of what might happen if aliens came to Earth. Lastly is Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds, an alternate history World War II thriller that may be the most entertaining movie I've seen all summer. The film clearly deals in wish fulfillment, but there are genuine themes and ideas behind all the war violence.

I will try to get some Mad Men posts in as the show goes on, and I'm debating whether a discussion on the original and no-longer-canon Dollhouse pilot is necessary.

Up next: Tears of a clown...

No comments: