Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Michael Cera Connection

I know that I said that His Dark Materials would follow Juno, but I was inspired to do a series on Arrested Development and Veronica Mars when I started rewatching the third season of the latter show. And hey, I can connect the topics through Michael Cera, who is always a delight to watch. Don't worry, His Dark Materials will be discussed, MOST LIKELY after AD and VM, but as always, things are subject to change.

Anyway, I am choosing to discuss these two shows together due to a number of similarities that I discovered with two separate friends. It started when I had a deal with one of them; I love Arrested Development and he loves The OC. Neither of us has really given the other's show much attention, so in exchange for watching the pilot of The OC (hour long), he agreed to watch the first two episodes of Arrested Development (half hours). We started pointing out a few similarities, which I sent to another friend of mine who likes both shows, but may be the only person I know who likes AD more than I do. A few days later, after much urging from me, he started watching Veronica Mars (and of the three of us, is the only person to have seen every episode of all three shows). The two of us then started bringing VM into the AD/OC discussion. I will use these posts to not only gush on these two shows that, like Firefly, were canceled too soon, but also to point out some interesting coincidences about both the subject matter and off-air logistics of the show.

Up next: a brief overview of Arrested Development...

No comments: