Friday, April 4, 2008

Back To Space

Originally, I hadn't planned on doing another TV show after my last series. However, Battlestar Galactica (the new one) returned tonight, airing the Season 4 premiere. This is the final season of the incredible show, and I have been doing some catching up in the past few weeks. It has been over a year since the Season 3 finale (though we did have Razor to tide us over in December), and I had forgotten how incredible this show is. Yes, like all shows (even Buffy, Angel, and Firefly), there were some episodes that aren't as strong as they could be, but these instances are rare, and even in the worst of episodes (by BSG standards, that is), there are still plenty of reasons to watch.

Telling the story of a near-genocide of the human race, Battlestar Galactica is an allegory for life in the post-9/11 world. The characters have to deal with the fear that the enemy could be anyone and an attack could come at any time. But worst of all, the surviving humans need to deal with their own flaws and insecurities (I like Robert Kirkman's quote about a comic he writes that I think applies here; it is interesting that, even in situations that would demand that we band together, humans can still be self-destructive).

I know that most of my Buffyverse posts were very heavy on the summarization with a little bit of analysis thrown in for good measure, but here, I intend to lay off the summarization and stick to probing the metaphors in the show. I will divulge a few plot points to use as examples, but I would like to have the next few posts be accessible to people who have never seen the show, and encouraging of checking it out.

Up next: What the frak?

No comments: