Thursday, April 24, 2008

Three Novels By Neil Gaiman

I can't believe it's taken me this long to do posts on the works of Neil Gaiman, but here we are. For now, I will focus on three of his novels: American Gods, its spin-off Anansi Boys, and Good Omens, which he coauthored with Terry Pratchett. Neil Gaiman is my Joss Whedon of the printed word; they have each done works that are printed and filmed, but while Whedon is best at film, Gaiman excels in print (though both are still awesome in the opposite realm). Gaiman is incredible at mixing mythology with modernity, leading to incredible tales of science fiction and/or fantasy that draw on incredible ideas but take place in modern, "mundane" times (whoa, that reminds me that I need to talk about Bill Willingham's Fables at some point).

I will definitely do a series of posts on his magnum opus The Sandman, but that won't happen until I have finished it. I am collecting the series in the oversized Absolute editions, and two more still need to be released (one is coming up, and the final one will hopefully be out by the end of the year). But in the meantime, here are three reasons to become Gaiman fans if you aren't already.

Up next: A place for gods...

No comments: