Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pushing Daisies: Back On Top

I'll admit that while I very much enjoyed the season premiere of Pushing Daisies, I think that part of it was just that I was so excited to have the show back. The premiere was certainly good, but was definitely not the best episode yet. The second episode was similar; very good television, but only good Pushing Daisies. This week's episode, "Bad Habits", was certainly the best of the season so far, and ranks up there with episodes like "Bitches" and "Pigeon".

This episode wraps up Olive's arc at the nunnery and takes us a step closer to resolving one of the overarching plotlines. I can't wait to see the repercussions of the final scene, because although the episode ended happily, the information will cause a lot of grief in the long run.

This episode was full of great dark humor and beautifully tragic (or tragically beautiful?) moments. Most notable for me was Olive's "final thoughts" as she fell from the bell tower (let's just say that I sympathize with her unrequited love more than I should).

Unfortunately, I've been hearing reports that ratings haven't been that good this season. PLEASE tell your friends about this show! There is no better combination of sweetness, satire, and darkness out there, and this is a show that deserves a nice long run!

Up next: Smoke gets in your eyes...

No comments: