Thursday, February 14, 2008

Another Space Western

When I finished writing about the four plays, I wasn't sure what to do next. I still have plenty of things to write about; I doubt I will ever run out, but it was the sheer amount that caused the standstill. Should I finally get back to Joss Whedon and write about the Buffyverse (which includes the shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spin-off Angel), or should I go to the new, "re-imagined" Battlestar Galactica? That show will be starting its final season soon, and I could do what I'm doing for LOST, where I write about the existing stuff now and update the new stuff as it airs. I will probably do that once the premiere date gets closer.

For a while, I considered doing a section on some old cartoon shows I watched when I was very young. I came across an episode of TaleSpin on YouTube a little while ago and found that it was still very enjoyable. I still may do a series of posts on that and a few other Disney Afternoon shows (Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, and Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers), but now is not the time.

I eventually realized that the thing to do next is Cowboy Bebop, the only anime show that I have ever willingly sat down and watched. I discovered it the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of college; ever since I had started watching Firefly, I had heard that it was similar to Cowboy Bebop. However, it was anime, and anime was stupid (at least the stuff I'd seen). Finally, I was talking to my boss, who was a really cool guy, about TV shows. We found that we had similar interests, and I brought up Firefly. He hadn't seen it, but he said that it sounded like a show he watched, which was Cowboy Bebop. He explained that the characters weren't cowboys in the traditional sense; they were bounty hunters, but they lived a sort of cowboy lifestyle, on the fringe of society, and by their own rules. I finally decided to TiVo the show and check it out. Amazingly, it was just about to restart its run from the beginning on Cartoon Network.

Up next: Boarding the Bebop...

No comments: