Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bebop To Rock

Up next, I will discuss 30 Rock, the first work by Tina Fey to appear on this site. Even though I still consider Arrested Development to be the greatest comedy ever, 30 Rock is a sort of spiritual sequel, and is pretty much just as good (I still have yet to bring up Scrubs, which may not be as perfect as AD, but makes up the third entry into my Top Three Comedy Shows list).

I can't believe Fey hasn't done more things; the woman is a genius. Her work on Saturday Night Live was great, and despite previews that made it look like a generic tweener comedy, Mean Girls was brilliant (too bad the studio made her tone it down, because apparently, her first draft was R-rated and extremely edgy). But 30 Rock is her masterpiece. Casting herself as a fictionalized version of herself working for an SNL-esque show may not sound good, but it ended up working better than anyone could have possibly imaged.

When I was thinking this post up, I wanted to say something like, "If Joss Whedon is my master now, Tina Fey is my mistress" putting her on an equal plane with Joss (there is no greater compliment I can give), but it sounded really creepy and disrepectful. Sadly, I was unable to think of something that worked, but never mind, because here comes 30 Rock!

No comments: