Monday, May 19, 2008

Dying To Know What's Next

I think that I mentioned a few posts ago that I want to do another run on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, since I am rediscovering how much these shows mean to me. However, I'm going to hold off for a little while (1) since I did the first run so recently, and (2) to let myself get a little further into the rewatching.

Instead, I have a few ideas for the next few post series. First, I'm going to examine Showtime's Dexter. I have not read the books that the television series is based on, which I intend to do some day, but that doesn't prevent the show from being fantastic (and from what I've heard, the two different media take very separate paths). I want to examine the premise of a serial killer as a hero both within the context of the show itself, as well as what it means for us as an audience (including the outcry from certain groups when CBS decided to air it during the writers' strike). I will also talk about what myself and a friend of mine (the same one who came up with the LOST theory about the Black Rock and immortality) think the series should do in its third season.

I really want to do a series on Brian K. Vaughan, who is my favorite comic book writer. I plan on talking about three of his series, Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina, though I think I should wait until I have read the final issues of Y (Ex Machina is still a year or two from finishing, so I will talk about it in its current state, but since Y is done and Vaughan has left Runaways, I can discuss them as completed projects).

Until I have finished Y, I think that I will do something on Freaks and Geeks, which I refer to as the second best series to ever last less than 20 episodes. Like Joss Whedon's shows, especially Buffy, it is a very real look at life through the eyes of the people on the fringes of society (in this case, high school, hence the Buffy similarity).

Going back to the realm of comics, I want to do some posts on the Scott Pilgrim series, especially now that the movie is going to start filming soon. If you have never heard of Scott Pilgrim before, immediately get your hands on the first volume, Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life and get yourself caught up before I let any spoilers fly.

I am still deciding if I should do a series on the View Askewnieverse, since I have not seen any part of Mallrats, nor have I seen Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back in its entirety. Still, I have seen the other four movies as well as the Clerks animated series, and it wouldn't be the first time I had reported on a world that I had not fully seen (though usually, it is because it is a television show that is still in production).

Up next: Ice in Miami...

No comments: