Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Fantastic, The Mundane, and The Real

At long last, I have finished Neil Gaiman's magnum opus, The Sandman. The comic is considered one of the greatest in history, usually ranked behind only Alan Moore's Watchmen on the lists of best and most important comic series. I promised that I would do a series on it once I finished, and I am very excited to begin. The Sandman is about life and the importance of stories, and while I don't think it has "changed my life", it has certainly made me think about storytelling and certain aspects of humanity differently.

While thinking of Gaiman's style of mixing the fantastic with the mundane, my thoughts wandered to Fables, a current comic book by Bill Willingham, which is published under DC's vertigo imprint, which was partially created by Gaiman with Sandman. The very nature of Fables combines magic and mundane, as it follows exiled fairy tale characters who must live out their lives in our world after a cruel dictator came to power in their Homelands. Most critics claim that Fables is the best comic in production right now, and it is very hard to argue that. Some have even claimed that it could be as good as Sandman (to that I say that is like comparing apples and oranges because the two books are very different once you get past the whole "fantasy and reality" similarity).

Finally, I want to begin with a brief post on Watchmen. I will probably wait until the movie is released to do a series on Watchmen itself (you know, for one post on comparisons and such), but a certain thing happened the other day that I believe merits discussion.

Up next: Taking the law into your own hands...

No comments: