Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pushing Daisies: A Love Song

I know that I've already addressed the cancellation of Pushing Daisies, but after tonight's incredible episode, the reality of the situation became all the more painful. The show has always excelled at simultaneously tickling the funny bone and tugging the heart strings, and tonight was one of the best episodes yet.

Note: Some spoilers...

The Dwight Dixon story line has successfully captivated me, and though I am sad to see its end, I know that there is still more to learn about this mysterious man. Chuck's little deception will certainly help shed some light on that subject... and will cause a lot of tension between her and Ned. Watching Chuck deal with her own guilt was hard enough, but watching how Ned will react will be something else entirely. Also, was I the only one who thought that the death in exchange for breaking the 60 second rule was going to be Lily?

The other story followed Ned and Olive at a baking competition, and we were treated to a Wonderfalls crossover, a disturbing reanimated body (extra crispy), and some great Olive moments. I love Ned and Chuck and the things they do to be together (they have found a great way to sleep in the same bed), but I can't help but feel for Olive (let's just say that I feel her pain, which made this episode a little tough tonight). After all, who could not love her after this:



I can't believe there are only 5 episodes left. I still remember the huge marketing push that ABC did before the season began (there are still a few ads on the trains and buses around the city), and how much hope it gave me for a full-length season and a long lasting show. Sadly, Bryan Fuller will once again be given the shaft and will be sent back to Heroes (another sinking ship, though that is for quality reasons). Well, at least what we got was incredible. There will probably be a few more posts as the remaining episodes air.

Edit: There are two videos because the second adds a little context. I can't get rid of the original video I posted though (which is why in the Eternal Sunshine post, the one trailer is posted twice).

Up next: Hope springs eternal...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the name of the song Olive is singing? Thanks!

Andrew said...

Eternal Flame, by The Bangles