Sunday, August 17, 2008

All Wright! I Have My Next Idea Pegged!

But what I don't have down is puns. I'm very sorry about the title, but I felt compelled. Anyway, I've decided to devote the next few posts to the works of Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg (and Jessica Hynes, nee Stevenson, on Spaced). I will look at their brand of nerd humor that was excellently captured in Spaced, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

I will look at how their sense of humor is similar to my own (though I am not saying that I am comparable to them); we use pop culture references to make jokes and basically run our life. They are masters of the parotribute (this is going to be a new word I use regularly; I really hope no one else has already coined it), and their work should be studied by all aspiring writers who plan on satirizing material they love.

I probably will wait a day or two in order to rewatch Shaun of the Dead since I haven't seen that movie in a while, but after that, I will dive head first into the minds of Wright, Pegg and Hynes.

Oh, do you want to know why I decided to do this now? I wish I could say that it was because of all the references I made to it in my posts about the webseries and Felicia Day, but that isn't true. I was surfing the web today (more specifically, whedonesque.com) and found a link to a page containing the following YouTube video (here is the set-up: Tim is about to interview for his dream job at a comic book publisher):



I really need to challenge myself to do 10 posts without making some sort of Joss Whedon reference (which would probably be hard, since I can tie so much back to his work and the people he associates with).

Up next: Spaced out...

No comments: