Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Legend of Neil: Link to the Game

I wish that I could say that my love for The Legend of Zelda game series is what brought me to this web series. But it wasn't. I learned that Felicia Day had a role in it, and I watched the third episode first, since that is the one where she is most prominently featured (so far). You may have noticed that I've been talking a lot about her lately; there seems to be a kind of web series community out there, and she is one of the focal points (The Legend of Neil was created by Sandeep Parikh, who worked with Day on The Guild, as well as working with her and Jeff Lewis AKA Vork in an LA improv troupe). I even went back and added her name as a tag on posts about media containing her (except for Buffy, since she had such a minor role in the final season). As I said in the last post, she should be more famous than she is, since it is clear that she can write and act (and is a definite cutie). But she was the initial draw to this. What I found was more than I could have ever imagined.

The Legend of Neil is a parody done right; it knows its source material backwards and forwards because, in spite of ample material that can be made fun of, the creators of the parody love the source (leading to my coining of the term parotribute in a recent post). It is clear that Parikh and Tony Janning have played a little too much Zelda (if such a thing exists), and they know Hyrule and its foibles like the back of their left hands (Link is left-handed for those of you who aren't Zelda players). This strategy is what makes the works of Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright so incredible, as well as the flash videos by Matt Gardner:



Gardner has obviously read the comics that contain the stories he satirizes, and he also has knowledge of overall comic book cliches, such as the "comic book death". But this post is about The Legend of Neil, so let's get back to that. The story is about Neil, a Zelda fanatic who made the drunken choice to asphyxiate himself with a Nintendo controller while masturbating to a fairy in the original NES game. He lost consciousness and woke up in Hyrule, where everyone believes him to be Link. He is forced to don the green clothes of the Hylian hero if he hopes to return home to our world. But along the way, he has to fight enemies, save Princess Zelda and deal with crotchety old men.

So far, the series has poked fun at the fact that Link uses hearts dropped from enemies to heal himself (they used to be in a dead monster's body!), weird old men seem to have answers to questions Link hasn't asked yet, master works of swordsmanship tend to be free, there are few ethnicities in the game (I think in recent years, we meet the occasional black person, but for the most part, there are white people and Arabic-esque people, who tend to be villains) and the fact that Link is nearly genetically predisposed to use a sword (unfortunately, Neil is not).

This is by far the most mature series of the three that I am writing about. And by mature, I mean intended for mature audiences. There is a lot of profanity (which is another way it pokes fun at Zelda; no one in Hyrule, not even the insanely evil Ganon, or the surly ranch hand in Ocarina of Time, has a foul mouth), sexual references (just look at the origin story) and violence. Of course, these references to anatomy and sex are priceless coming from the mouths of elves, bearded old wise men and a sex-obsessed fairy (Felicia Day's role, which certainly a departure from pretty much every other role I've seen her in).

Once again, I will put up the website (I'm not sure which of these is the actual website, so I will list its location on Effinfunny and Atom, though I'm beginning to think that the Effinfunny site may be its home). I am also posting the first episode so that you can get your first taste of it if you have yet to check it out:



Just a heads up; as I am writing this post, the videos seem to be down, so if the embeded video isn't working when you click on it, try it again in a few hours or so.

Up next: Two breakout series...

No comments: