Sunday, August 17, 2008

Repo- The Genetic Opera: Repo Madness

I don't have an Administrative post here because (1) this is an interlude type post as opposed to the beginning of a new series, and (2) I'm not sure what I'm doing for the next series (hence the figuring it out line at the end of the last post). I have plenty of ideas, but I don't want to start something big only to leave it hanging for a while once school begins.

Anyway, as the release date for Darren Lynn Bousman's (director of Saw II through IV) Repo! The Genetic Opera approaches, I wanted to do a post on it to raise awareness for people who may not have heard of it. I came across it while checking whedonesque.com (it stars Anthony Stewart Head, who played Giles for seven years on Buffy). It mentioned that Head, who is a really great singer, would be starring in a new rock musical. Intrigued, I clicked the link and found a page featuring the following trailer:



When I first saw it, the idea of a world where human organs are a commodity and life is nothing but business intrigued me, but the main draw was Head singing. I will admit that the fact that Paris Hilton was in it put me off a little, but as time has gone by and as I've looked into this project further, I am less and less bothered by it (and if the following trailer is any indication, she may not be that bad of a singer):



As you can see, the date in that trailer is very wrong; the film was not released in April. That was the original release date, but it was later pushed back to August (I think that the second date was last Tuesday), and the new date is in November. Unfortunately, it looks like Lionsgate is not going to give this movie much of a chance, because the release looks to be extremely limited (internet gossip claims that it will appear on only 10 screens). Right now, I just really hope that Chicago will get a print so that I can see it on the big screen, since the visuals look fantastic.

Repo! looks like it will be extremely bloody and violent, but I'm guessing that the studio is being so apprehensive about its release because they're afraid that such a film won't work or be able to draw a crowd as a musical. My response is to look at The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Sweeney Todd, two films that Repo! has already been compared to; one is a cult classic and the other was extremely well-received and earned good enough box office receipts.

I may be making a huge deal over two trailers and an actor that I like, but I really hope that the film lives up to the hype and gets a fair shake. If I'm wrong, I wasted a few hours of my life, but got to hear Head sing through most of it. I will also be expanding my horizons a little; I've never really been one for the over-the-top violent horror films (I've only seen about two thirds of one of the Saw movies, so its weird that I'm getting so excited for something that is so tied to the director of a majority of them), but this somehow appeals to me. Hopefully, if the trailers and music caught your attention, you will be in a place where the film is released. If this whole thing did nothing for you, that's cool too, just stick around for whatever I do next.

Up next: Hmm...

No comments: