Tuesday, July 1, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different

In the past few months, I have come across two "Best Of Television" lists. One was a Top 50 list put out by Empire, while the other is a Top 100 put out by Entertainment Weekly to celebrate its 1,000th issue. While I more or less agreed with the selections made by the Empire list (there were one or two shows I felt were lacking), I wasn't so much a fan of Entertainment Weekly's. I've decided to put a list of my own together as a way to explore where my history with TV has taken me, as well as a handy recommendation guide for my readers.

Unfortunately, I am only one man, and so I have not seen as many series as I should in order to make this list. As of now, I have not seen any/enough of the following series that tend to make it onto these Best Of lists: Spaced, Deadwood, The L Word, Monty Python's Flying Circus (I recognize its brilliance based on what I have seen, which should be apparent from this post's title), Dr. Who, Life on Mars, The Sopranos, Carnivale, All In The Family. However, these are series that I either plan to start watching at some point (Spaced has been pre-ordered) or see more of (I've seen the pilots of Deadwood and The L Word and found them enjoyable). Therefore, it should say something that there are certain other series that have not been listed above and will not make it onto my list.

Also, I'm still putting my list together, so it may be a little bit before I get things started (though with all the delays recently, that shouldn't be a problem). I am still deciding if I should try and set a maximum number or if I should include all shows that I deem enjoyable (trust me, there are a lot). So we'll see what happens.

Up next: It begins...

No comments: