Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Films of Christopher Nolan

To celebrate the release of The Dark Knight (which was so very awesome), I am going to devote the next series of posts to a selection of Christopher Nolan's films. I have not seen every movie he has directed, but the ones that I have are all incredible. In addition to the great acting and Nolan's expert handling of non-linear storytelling, all of his movies are thematically rich, plumbing depths of character motivation and philosophies that many movies barely even attempt to reach. Using Memento, The Prestige, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I will examine the nature of memory, vengeance, obsession, fear and heroism.

After this series, I will finally get to Brian K. Vaughan's work in comics, since I finally finished Y: The Last Man while I was working on The List. After that, I plan on doing a series on Alan Ball's American Beauty and Six Feet Under since (1) I recently finished the latter, and (2) Ball's new series will soon be starting.

Up next: Take a picture...

No comments: